Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Back to School

Labor Day is the unofficial end to summer. You know what that means...back to school!
I remember being so excited about buying new school supplies, but nervous about the first day of school.
I passed by my old elementary school as I was driving through town today...St. Francis Elementary. It's downtown...on the corner of 25th and K Streets. School was in session...it was lunchtime so kids were running around on the playground...in uniform of course!
I remember the year we started wearing uniforms here--2nd grade! That's right, I went to school here-- kindergarten through 8th grade! Oh, but that's not all. My cousins went here too! Are you ready for this? A member of my family has gone to school here every year for the past 25 years! This will be the first year without any of us.
I made a lot of memories here, not only in school but at the church ...just behind the school.
At St. Francis of Assisi Parish I celebrated my kinder and 8th grade graduations and my first communion.
The campus has certainly changed. The playground I used to play on is no longer there. That area was turned into housing just after I left.

Just wonderin': Do you remember how you felt on the first day of school?

No comments: